Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• sd75 31 posts 144 karma points
    Mar 29, 2013 @ 13:00
    sd75

Unexpected token '[' in the expression

Using Darren Fergusons feedcache in conjunction with Warren Buckleys twitter for Umbraco (excellent packages) - I'm altering the TwitterStatus.xslt to get the xml from the cached xml file and not twitter directly -  see code below.

<xsl:variable name="twitterXMLUrl" select="['../App_Data/FeedCache/mytwitter.xml']"/>

however i get the error - Unexpected token '[' in the expression...... 

I'm a bit of a xslt newbie - what is the best way to select an xml file with xsl variable?

Many Thanks

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2013 @ 13:51
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi sd7

Remove the square brackets [] and you should be fine.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Mar 29, 2013 @ 14:25
    sd75

Cheers for quick post Jan

I've tried this

<xsl:variable name="twitterXMLUrl" select="../App_Data/FeedCache/mywitter.xml"/>

I'm editing the file directly in Umbraco back office - it fails to save using the above code & throws a System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: The URI is empty.

I've tried 

<xsl:variable name="twitterXMLUrl" select="document('../App_Data/FeedCache/mywitter.xml')"/> still doesn't work.

I really need to get a decent book on xslt!

Cheers

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2013 @ 14:37
    Jan Skovgaard

His sd75

You removed more than I told you to do :)

<xsl:variable name="twitterXmlUrl select="'../App_Data/FeedCache/mytwitter.xml'" /> - It's probably a bit hard to see that the single quotes are still in there. You could also do this <xsl:variable name="twitterXmlUrl" select="string(../App_Data/FeedCache/mytwitter.xml)" /> - This is probably easier to read.

Hope this helps.

Regarding a good XSLT source I think you should have a look at http://pimpmyxslt.com/articles/ - it's written by Chriztian Steinmeier who is a XSLT wizard and he is often helping people out with XSLT in these forums as well. The articles are written with Umbraco as context.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Mar 29, 2013 @ 16:11
    sd75

Many Thanks Jan - I'll have a look. 

On the twitter cache front  - I've replaced the following code from the twitter package:-

<xsl:variable name="twitterXMLUrl" select="concat('http://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/user_timeline.xml?screen_name=', $twitterUsername ,'&amp;include_rts=', $displayNativeRTs ,'&amp;exclude_replies=', $excludeReplies, '&amp;include_entities=1&amp;count=', $noStatus)"/>

<!-- Go fetch the tweets & cache for 60 seconds -->

<xsl:for-each select="umbraco.library:GetXmlDocumentByUrl($twitterXMLUrl,'60')//statuses/status">

<xsl:apply-templates mode="tweet" select="current()"/>

</xsl:for-each>

with this

<xsl:variable name="twitterXMLUrl" select="string(../App_Data/FeedCache/mytwitter.xml)" />

<xsl:for-each select="document($twitterXMLUrl)//statuses/status">

<xsl:apply-templates mode="tweet" select="current()"/>

</xsl:for-each>

but back office fails to save the document. 

• Chriztian Steinmeier 2798 posts 8788 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Mar 29, 2013 @ 23:00
    Chriztian Steinmeier

Hi sd75,

Even if you use the string() function, you still need to include the single quotes – so try this:

<xsl:variable name="twitterXML" select="document('../App_Data/FeedCache/mytwitter.xml')" />

<xsl:apply-templates select="$twitterXML//statuses/status" />

/Chriztian

Apr 01, 2013 @ 12:55
    sd75

Many Thanks Chriztian - all good!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft